Thursday, July 08, 2004


FREE Digital Certificates

I’m not sure how new this setup is but I’ve had a few links to CACert who are offering free digital certificates.

This doesn’t seem to be limited to user certs (for e-mail signing etc) but they can provide server & wildcard certificates for you internet servers.  For those not in the know, wildcard certificates allow a single cert (normally mapped to your firewall etc) to provide SSL connectivity to multiple hosts.  So a certificate with the common name of *.mydomain.com can cover www.mydomain.com, mail.mydomain.com and any other hosts you have.  Personally I use a wildcard certificate on our ISA server and this eliminates the need for a different public IP address for each SSL secured host.

I can’t confirm at the moment if these are all free as the site seems to be having a glitch with MySQL but I’ll keep checking.



Comments:
Post a Comment

<< Home